From buying jewelry findings, pendants and end caps to designing your own patterns, this kumihimo braiding set will inspire you with ideas to make unique jewelry! Start with a dichroic glass pendant, pick one or more colors from it and add a three to four-inch tube bead to create a focal piece that’s just waiting to be attached to beautiful beaded kumihimo ropes.
Heavenly Dreams Beaded Kumihimo Braiding Set
Shades of blue, gray and green swirl together in this hand-blown glass pendant that gently slides to and fro on a silver bead tube. Subtle spiral kumihimo ropes in matching 6-0 seed beads anchor the dreamy kumihimo braiding set on either side of elegant tube.
A pair of lovely dangling earrings are worked in the same basic kumihimo pattern to complement the stunning necklace and add loads of fashion style!
Kumihimo Braiding with Tube Beads
Choosing a tube bead for the center focal can be a bit tricky. It has to be small enough for the pendant to slide on and large enough for all eight strands of cording to go through. Select any finish you desire—copper, silver, gold, gunmetal, brass or bronze.
Here’s how to get started:
- Cut enough strands of cording to make a necklace that’s 20 inches or more.
- No need to braid the cording together before putting it into the tube bead; just slide all eight strands through until the bead is centered in the cord group.
- Tie a knot at one end of the tube bead to keep it from sliding off-center. Wrap the cords on the knotted side around a spare kumihimo bobbin.
- Place the remaining strands in the foam disk to work a traditional 8-warp kumihimo braiding pattern. Braid for eight turns without beads and then start to drop the beads.
- Braid an inch without beads once you have a rope that’s the length you want. Remove from the disk.
- Untie the knot and place the remaining eight strands in the foam disk. Repeat steps 4 and 5.
“You alone are the Lord. You have made the heavens, the heaven of heavens with all their host, the earth and all that is on it, the seas and all that is in them. You give life to all of them and the heavenly host bows down before You.” (Nehemiah 9:6)